Salish Sea Coastal Rowing Club Society
RELEASE, WAIVER OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
ROWING TOUR - OPEN WATER ROWING
IN CONSIDERATION of and for the SALISH SEA COASTAL ROWING CLUB (“SSCRC”) permitting me to use coastal rowing equipment available through SSCRC, such as the EuroDiffusion Yole(s), Maas, Liteboat, Alden or EuroDiffusion Single or EuroDiffusion Double, and any other boats the club may acquire and attachments and accessories to that equipment (the “Rowing Equipment”), I, the undersigned, for myself, and, in the event of my death or incapacity, my heirs, next-of-kin, executors, administrators and representatives, agree with SSCRC, its directors, officers, agents, employees, coaches, contractors, members, volunteers, other participants in the Rowing Activities, regatta organizers, sponsors, advertisers and owners and lessors of any premises on which any of the Rowing Activities takes place (collectively the “Releasees”) as follows:
I WARRANT AND REPRESENT, both now and throughout my participation in the Rowing Activities, that:
1. I understand that boats, such as the Rowing Equipment, designed for rowing in coastal waters, including but not limited to surf, rough water and swells, are unstable and that rowers face away from the direction in which they are rowing. I understand that use of the Rowing Equipment involves danger and the risk of serious bodily injury, including but not limited to partial or permanent disability; paralysis; death; and other risks, such as social or economic loss, either unknown or not foreseeable now (collectively the “Risks”). I further understand that the Risks may arise from dangers including, but not limited to, the physical exertion involved in rowing; carrying boats; placing boats in and lifting them out of the water and storage locations; collision with another boat, or a floating or stationary object; equipment malfunction; capsizing; swamping in waves caused by passing vessels or adverse weather; hypothermia; hyperthermia; and drowning.
2. I understand that my own action or inaction, the action or inaction of others, the conditions in which use of the Rowing Equipment takes place, or the negligence of one or more of the Releasees may expose me to danger and the Risks. I acknowledge that participation in the SSCRC Open Water Rowing involves potential risks and dangers of possible serious bodily injury, including permanent disability, paralysis and death. These risks and dangers may be caused by my own actions or inactions, by the actions or inactions of other participants or of persons not participating SSCRC programs, or by the negligence of acting on behalf of SSCRC. The variable weather and water conditions in which the activity takes place will affect the level of risk and danger. There may be other risks and social and economic losses not known to me or foreseeable at this time. I fully accept and assume all such risks and all responsibility for losses, costs, and damages I incur as a result of my participation in SSCRC programs.
3. I am in good health and am medically fit to use the Rowing Equipment. Without limiting the generality of the forgoing, I do not suffer from a heart condition or other ailment that use of the Rowing Equipment could aggravate. Further, either I am able to swim 100 meters immediately after which I can tread water for 15 minutes, or I hold the Bronze Cross/Medallion in swimming, or both.
I AGREE THAT:
4. I will at all times obey all safety rules established by SSCRC and all safety rules established by the SSCRC and Rowing Canada Aviron.
5. I will obey all rules, regulations and directions as required by Transport Canada, the Canadian Coast Guard or other agency of the governments of Canada or British Columbia in the use of the Rowing Equipment.
6. I am responsible for my own safety and will use the Rowing Equipment within the limits of my abilities. At any time I believe that use of the Rowing Equipment or the conditions in which I am using it are unsafe or beyond my abilities, I will immediately cease to use the Rowing Equipment.
7. I fully accept and assume the Risks and full responsibility for all injury, damages, loss and costs I may cause arising from my use of the Rowing Equipment.
8. I will indemnify, save and hold harmless the Releasees from any and all liability for any property damage or personal injury to the Releasees or any of them, or to any third party, resulting from my use of the Rowing Equipment.
9. If, despite this Agreement, I or anyone on my behalf makes a claim against the Releasees or any of them, I will indemnify, save and hold harmless the Releasees and each of them from any liability, claims, demands, loss, damages or costs which they or any of them may incur as a result of that claim.
I HEREBY WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS THAT I HAVE OR IN THE FUTURE MAY HAVE AGAINST THE RELEASEES AND RELEASE AND FOREVER DISCHARGE THE RELEASEES and each of them from any and all liability for any loss, damage, expense or injury, including death, that I or any of my next-of-kin may suffer arising from my use of the Rowing Equipment due, or alleged to be due, to any cause whatsoever, in whole or in part, including but not limited to negligence, breach of contract, breach of any statutory or other duty of care, of the Releasees or any of them, and further including but not limited to failure on the part of the Releasees or any of them to safeguard and protect me from the Risks and the dangers of using the Rowing Equipment, and negligence in any rescue operations any of them may undertake.
I have read this Agreement. I fully understand its terms and that I have given up substantial rights by signing it. I have signed this Agreement freely without inducement or assurance of any kind. I intend it to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability. I confirm that I have read and understood these conditions of participation and agree that this instrument will be binding on my heirs or successors as well as myself, and that I am of the full age of 19 years and accept these terms.
Date Signature of Participant
Print Name of Participant
PRINT THIS FORM, SIGN IT AND SEND IT TO INFO@SALISHSEAROWING.CA VIA SCAN, OR EMAIL
Salish Sea Coastal Rowing Club is not currently accepting Youth members. All members must be at least the age of 19 at the time of submitting a Membership Application.